Monday, February 28, 2011

Woman of Prayer (The Power of a Positive Mom)

Can you relate to this mother’s Prayer?
Dear Lord, so far today I am doing pretty well.  I haven’t screamed at the kids or thrown anything in a burst of anger.  I have not grumbled or gossiped or whined.  I haven’t been greedy or self-centered.  I have not yet charged anything to the credit card, and I haven’t pigged out on the chocolate cake in the refrigerator.  However, in a few minutes I will be getting out of bed, and I am going to need your help to make it through the rest of the day.  Amen!
What does it mean to pray?  I have been asked that by my kids on several occasions and usually I give the same response:  it’s talking to God about whatever you want to.  Jeanne Guyon puts it this way:  Prayer is nothing more than turning our hearts toward God and receiving in turn His love.
 I have often wondered how you become a woman of prayer.  Karol Ladd, the author of the book I am reading, says the best way to learn is to simply begin.  It’s like wanting to become a runner.  Start slow and steady, dedicating just a few minutes each day and then grow from there.  By being consistent in meeting with God each day, you will develop a habit of daily prayer in your life that will not easily be broken. 
I have been challenged by what I have read about spending time in prayer.  I know that I need all the prayers I can muster up to be able to raise 4 great kids that will pass on to their kids the wisdom they will hopefully learn from me.  There is no parenting book I can read or seminar to go to that will give the answers to every problem or situation that arises in life.  That why James 1:5 is so important for me to remember.  “If any of you lack wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him”. So as I find the opportunities to turn my thoughts upward during the day I will remember,  A Positive Mom is a Praying Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment