Wednesday, March 23, 2011

21st Century Woman

Proverbs 31 states:  “Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?  She is more precious than rubies.  Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life.  She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.  When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness.  She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing for laziness.  Her children stand and bless her.  Her husband praises her:  “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!”  Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. “
How do you see your role as a wife (or future wife)?  I know for me personally, I love being Mark’s wife.  We met at church way back in the Fall of 1993.  After 2 ½ years, we officially became Mr. & Mrs. on June 22, 1996.  On our honeymoon, it was just like we were spending the same amount of time together accept that we didn’t have to say goodbye at night.  We were married and we could do anything we wanted!  Over the first couple of years, I never thought about my role as a wife like Proverbs describes it.  I just wanted to make my husband happy and meet all of his needs.  We struggled, like most newlyweds do, with finances, time, work and school schedules.  It does take a while to come together as one.  I remember the first few months of marriage. It was hard for me to be able to sleep because I wasn’t use to someone sleeping next to me! I slept in a twin size bed all my life so to upgrade to a Queen sized bed with someone else in it was strange.  Of course with marriage comes the duty of being the housewife!  But there is something about wanting to make your husband happy and feeling proud by him walking into a clean house that smells good and looks nice.  I still have that same desire today, even though it is a little more challenging with 4 kids!   As I have gotten older and learned from experience, being a wife takes dedication and lots of prayer.  I feel like God has instilled in me the desire to be a good housewife, mother, teacher, counselor, events coordinator, and an overall jack of all trades.  I want to serve my husband and watch over the household.  I want to speak with wise words and give instructions with kindness.  I may not like it all the time but down deep that is what I feel like I am suppose to do.  So I guess for the most part, I am a Proverbs 31 woman but in the 21st century!

No comments:

Post a Comment