Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Waiting on God

Second only to suffering, waiting may be the greatest teacher and trainer in godliness, maturity, and genuine spirituality most of us ever encounter.—Richard Hendrix

As I started a new devotional this week, The Power of a Positive Wife, the second day focuses on waiting on God! Oh I could talk about this for hours.  Waiting on God can be such a blessing and a curse.  As the key scripture in the devotional focuses on the children of Israel and their journey from Egyptian slavery to the Promised Land, they had to wait on God and take the long route home.  But what a miracle they were able to be a part of.  Witnessing the parting of the Red Sea!  Holy smokes!!
I often find that if an idea or thought comes to mind I want it fixed/done/accomplished right then and there.  For example, when I have the idea to paint a room in my house, I just think get a bucket of paint and a roller and get started.  Besides who needs to tape off the windows and base boards or fill in holes with putty.  Just get the paint on the wall and move on.  My husband can attest to the fact that when I don’t do those things, he is the first to ask why!  Because then I have to go back and fix those things that should have been done right the first time.  The fact is the shortest route isn’t always the best route.
As I personally face valleys and deserts, I can see that God is shaping my life for a much greater, more powerful plan than I could ever imagine.  Even though I want the results STAT, he continues to reveal his plan ever so slowly.  Mark and I have often talked about how God has developed our character and grown our faith through the circumstances of life. It’s easier to reminisce about those though times when you have made it to the other side but like the Israelites, we too sometimes have to go the long route to stay in God’s perfect timing but the rewards far out-weigh the struggles. 
The same God who parted the Red Sea for the Israelites is at work in our lives.  We may not understand why he is taking us along a certain route—but we can always trust his love for us.

2 comments:

  1. mmm that's good. I'm alot like you; the thought enters my mind and I'm off to the races. One of my favorite scriptures is Pslam 46:10, "be still and know that I AM GOD." I feel like HE tells me that often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!! I needed to hear all of that! I feel like SAC needs to be in a permanent building with lots of volunteers & members, & I want to do everything now to speed up the process. But I see God working...very slowly to me...to grow each of us in our relationship with Him & with each other. SAC will get there...but in God's time...not our's. I just have to be reminded of that very often!
    Thanks for the reminder! His time & His way is always worth waiting for!!!
    Thanks again to you & Mark for your Vision & your steadfast journey with SAC.
    Love you & your family!
    Wynell

    ReplyDelete